Saturday, September 4, 2010

More Salmon Fishing

While visiting Portland I had a chance to hook up with a lifelong friend.  Bugsy (Gene) Carlson and I used to spend the Spring, salmon fishing on the Columbia and Willamette Rivers. Bugsy is an avid fisherman and usually gets the limit. As the up river brights were running we set out at 0530 for the hunt for the elusive finned creature of the deep. The morning was glorious as we watched the sun rise over Mt. Hood and the Columbia River.


We spent 7 hours fishing and saw only one fish landed. We were giving it another 15 minutes when I decided to check my rig. I picked up the rod and started to reel in when I felt that tell tale bite . I set the hook and the battle was on! I played the 25 pound beauty for about 20 minutes. The fish ran 6 times and vaulted out of the water once.

No comments: